Dogs are vital members of many Texas households, providing companionship and love. However, they’re also animals, meaning they can be unpredictable and territorial at times – which can lead to bites and attacks.
Were you or a loved one attacked by a dog in Bedford, TX? If so, you may be able to file a legal claim against the dog’s owner and pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain, and trauma. An experienced Bedford dog bite lawyer at Parker Law Firm Injury Lawyers will help you secure the financial recovery you deserve.
Our experienced lawyers have over 37 years of combined experience passionately advocating for personal injury victims throughout Texas. We know how to stand up to opponents and protect our clients’ legal rights.
Call our Bedford law firm today at (817)-503-9200 or submit an online form to schedule a free consultation. During your appointment, you can discuss the dog attack, injuries, and potential sources of compensation with a Bedford personal injury lawyer.
How Can Our Personal Injury Attorneys Help After a Dog Attack in Bedford, TX?
Do you know how to prove your dog bite case? Do you have time to dedicate to gathering solid evidence and proving your claim? What if the owner blames you for provoking the dog or contributing to your injuries? While important, you don’t have to tackle these questions alone.
An attorney will be your strongest ally when pursuing a claim after a dog attack in Bedford, Texas. Our experienced personal injury attorneys will handle your legal matter from start to finish, allowing you time to rest and heal from your traumatic injuries.
When you hire our law office for assistance with your Bedford dog attack claim, you can rest assured that we’ll:
- Investigate the attack and determine whether the canine has a history of aggression
- Gather evidence and evaluate whether any other parties other than the dog’s owner share liability for your damages
- Handle every aspect of your dog bite case, including communications, paperwork, negotiations, and more
- Protect your legal rights and ensure you aren’t unfairly blamed for the attack
- Consult leading Texas experts – such as animal behavior experts – as needed to build your case
- Represent you in court in Tarrant County if we fail to secure a fair settlement
We understand that you may be dealing with painful injuries – both physical and emotional. We’ll do everything possible to relieve some of the stress by handling your fight for compensation. Contact our Bedford personal injury attorneys today to discuss your dog attack.
How Common Are Dog Bites in Texas?
Over 4.5 million people in the U.S. are bitten by dogs yearly, with 800,000 requiring medical treatment. Sadly, 50% of those victims are children, who don’t always know how to respect a canine’s boundaries or understand when they are stressed or agitated.
Texas is consistently ranked in the top states that experience the most dog attacks and bites. In 2021, there were just over 1,000 dog-related injury claims filed in the Lone Star State, ranking it third – just behind California and Florida. Sadly, many people are also killed by fatal dog attacks in Texas every year.
Texas’s Dog Bite Law – What Do I Have To Prove To Recover Compensation for My Bedford Dog Attack Injuries?
Unlike many other states, Texas has no civil statute regarding dog bites and liability.
However, the state follows the “one bite rule” when evaluating a dog owner’s financial responsibility for injuries inflicted by their canine. That means a Texas dog owner is essentially put on notice that their dog is aggressive if the animal has exhibited hostile behavior in the past.
In other words, if a dog has bitten someone before (or otherwise shown aggressive behavior), its owner is more likely to be deemed strictly liable if the dog inflicts injuries again.
To prove your Bedford dog attack case, you’ll need to demonstrate:
- The owner knew or should’ve known that their dog is dangerous or aggressive, and the dog caused your injuries; or
- The owner’s negligence (failure to use reasonable care) in controlling their dog or preventing the attack directly caused your injuries
Owners of dangerous dogs that have exhibited vicious tendencies can be held strictly liable. However, even if the dog never showed aggression, the owner can be liable for negligence if they failed to restrain the dog, violated leash regulations, or otherwise failed to control the dog or prevent the incident.
The Texas Health and Safety Code also imposes criminal liability on dog owners if:
- They fail to secure their dog, the dog attacks a person (unprovoked) somewhere other than the owner’s property, and the attack causes injury or death; or
- They know their canine is a “dangerous dog,” the dog attacks someone (unprovoked) in an area other than a secure enclosure, and it causes injury or death.
Our dog attack attorneys in Bedford will determine whether the animal has been classified as a “dangerous dog,” properly insured, and registered with animal control.
What Is the Value of My Bedford Dog Bite Case?
The value of your Bedford dog bite claim will depend on the specific injuries you’ve sustained and various other factors, including:
- The severity of the injuries and whether they have caused permanent scarring, disfigurement, or disability
- Your medical bills, out-of-pocket costs, and lost wages and benefits
- Whether your ability to earn a living has been impacted
- The dog owner’s actions and what led to the attack
- The insurance available, including liability, homeowners insurance, or renters insurance
- Whether you share any fault for the dog bite
- The physical pain and psychological trauma of the incident
According to one study, the average Texas dog bite claim is around $36,000. However, no two dog bite cases are the same; depending on the victim’s age, size, health, and other factors, they can sustain life-altering injuries, increasing the value. Our dog bite lawyers in Bedford will be ready to assess your damages and value your claim.
What Compensation Is Available To Dog Bite Victims in Bedford, TX?
Bedford dog attack victims can pursue compensation for their monetary expenses (economic damages) and personal losses (non-economic damages).
Economic damages following a dog bite may include:
- Past medical costs, such as an ER visit, hospital stay, antibiotics, surgery, and wound care
- Future medical expenses, such as physical therapy or plastic surgery
- Lost income and job benefits
- Reduced earning potential
- Out-of-pocket expenses
Non-economic damages are personal to each victim and may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
- Reduced quality of life
Our Bedford dog bite attorneys will help you identify and prove the full extent of your damages.
Common Injuries Sustained After Dog Attacks
Depending on the victim, a dog attack can cause various types of injuries. For example, if the dog bit a small child, they may sustain traumatic injuries that permanently impact their life.
Some potential injuries suffered after a dog attack include:
- Puncture wounds, cuts, and bruises
- Facial injuries
- Neck injuries
- Nerve damage
- Damage to muscles and other soft tissue injuries
- Fractured and broken bones
- Crushing injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries and other head trauma
- Internal bleeding and organ damage
If a dog attacks you or a loved one, be sure to seek medical attention – especially if the dog is unfamiliar. Bites can lead to infections, which typically require antibiotics. You may also need a tetanus shot, booster, or rabies vaccine.
Can I Recover Compensation If I’m Partially At Fault for My Texas Dog Bite Injuries?
One of the most common defenses in a Texas dog bite claim is that the victim somehow provoked the animal. In a case based on a dog owner’s negligence, Texas’s modified comparative negligence law can affect the compensation you receive.
Under Texas law, if you share 50% or less of the blame for a dog attack, your awarded compensation will be reduced proportionately. If your level of responsibility exceeds 50%, you cannot receive a financial recovery.
For example, if a jury assigns you 30% fault for a dog bite, you can only recover 70% of your awarded damages. If a jury assigns you 51% fault, you cannot recover anything.
Insurance companies and defense attorneys know comparative negligence rules well. They use them to pay victims as little as possible (or nothing at all). Accordingly, if you’re being blamed for provoking the dog or trespassing, contact our personal injury attorneys in Bedford for help.
How Long Do I Have To File a Dog Bite Lawsuit in Texas?
Texas law typically gives you two years from the date of the dog bite to file a personal injury lawsuit. If you fail to file your case within the applicable statute of limitations, you’ll be barred from pursuing compensation from the dog owner.
It’s essential to speak with an experienced dog bite attorney in Bedford as soon as possible.
For one, you want to meet the deadline and preserve your legal rights. However, it’s also helpful to start gathering evidence and building your case sooner rather than later. Evidence can become lost over time, and eyewitnesses may forget details or move away.
Contact our Bedford personal injury law firm today to start the legal process.
Schedule a Free Case Evaluation With Our Bedford Dog Bite Lawyers
If you were bitten by a dog in Bedford, TX, contact Parker Law Firm Injury Lawyers for immediate assistance. Our Bedford dog attack lawyers will investigate what happened, gather evidence proving your claim, and get the compensation you deserve.
Call today for a free consultation to learn more about creating an attorney-client relationship.
Bedford Dog Bite Lawyer Review
The Parker Law Firm have been fantastic, they are so caring they keep you up to date they give you great information and insight. Mr Parker and his staff are professional, friendly and most important caring.
Highly Rated Physical Therapy Clinics In Bedford
- Green Oaks Physical Therapy – 1320 – A Airport Fwy, Bedford, TX 76022, United States
- Barkman & Smith Physical Therapy – 1940 Bedford Rd, Bedford, TX 76021, United States
- A1 Physical Therapy at Bedford – 1999 Forest Ridge Dr, Bedford, TX 76021, United States
- Core Rehab Physical Therapy – 2700 Tibbets Dr #103, Bedford, TX 76022, United States
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.
Additional Dog Bites Resources
Visit our Bedford, TX Personal Injury Law Office
Bedford Parker Law Firm Injury Lawyers
2317 Plaza Parkway #100
Bedford, TX 76021
Phone: (817) 503-9200
Hours of Operation
Monday – 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Tuesday – 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Wednesday – 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Thursday – 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Friday – 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Saturday – Closed
Sunday – Closed
Our personal injury law firm in Bedford, TX also provides:
- Bedford Bicycle Accident Lawyer
- Boating Accident Attorneys in Bedford, TX
- Brain Injury Attorney in Bedford, TX
- Bedford Car Accident Lawyers
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyer in Bedford, TX
- Bedford Construction Accident Attorneys
- Dog Bite Lawyers in Bedford, TX
- Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Bedford, TX
- Bedford Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Slip and Fall Attorney in Bedford, TX
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Bedford, TX
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Bedford, TX