How Long Does It Take To Get a Personal Injury Settlement Check in Fort Worth, TX?
If you were hurt in a car accident, truck accident, or another type of incident caused by someone else’s negligence in Fort Worth, you may be entitled to compensation. An experienced personal injury lawyer can help you demand the financial recovery you need and deserve for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other losses you’ve experienced.
While you might worry about having to go to court when you’re already dealing with so much, rest assured that most personal injury claims are resolved through a settlement with the at-fault party or their insurer.
A personal injury settlement represents the end of your legal battle. You agree not to sue the other party in exchange for a certain amount of money. But once you settle, you might still be wondering when you can expect to get your settlement check.
Steps Involved in Settling Your Fort Worth Personal Injury Claim
If you’re just getting started with your personal injury claim, you might wonder about the road ahead.
While every personal injury case is different, most involve the following steps:
- Initial consultation with a personal injury lawyer
- Evidence gathering and compilation
- Demand package preparation
A Fort Worth personal injury lawyer can walk you through the process and be with you during each step.
How Long Do Personal Injury Cases Take To Settle?
Every personal injury case is different, so there’s no set timeline or average time you can reasonably expect before you’ll get your settlement check. The individual factors of your case can influence how long it takes to settle.
Some of the factors that can increase the time it takes to settle your case include:
- You suffer a serious injury – Your lawyer will recommend that you reach maximum medical improvement before you attempt to settle your case. This may take longer if you suffer a severe injury.
- Fault is in question – Insurance companies will try to use any excuse they can to get out of paying fair compensation to claimants. They may delay your claim, stating that more investigation is necessary before they can resolve the matter.
- The type of case is complicated – Most car accident claims can be settled within a few months from the date of the accident. However, more complex claims like medical malpractice or product liability cases may take longer to resolve.
- You have to file a lawsuit – If the insurance company refuses to offer you a fair amount of compensation, you may have to file a lawsuit. Your case could settle after filing a lawsuit, but having to pursue the matter in court can make the case take longer.
Your lawyer will work hard to help you get your settlement as quickly as possible. However, they also want to ensure you get a fair amount of compensation for the hardships you have had to endure.
How Long After a Settlement Do I Receive My Money?
Texas law requires the insurer to send a settlement check within five business days after it has accepted liability. However, that does not mean you will immediately get your portion of the settlement.
There are several steps still involved in the process, including:
- You sign a settlement agreement and release of your claim.
- The insurer sends the settlement check to your lawyer.
- Your lawyer deposits the check into an escrow account.
- Your lawyer deducts necessary fees and costs, including attorney’s fees, medical liens, and subrogation claims.
Once all of the above steps are completed, you will receive a settlement check issued by your lawyer. Your attorney can review all deductions with you if you have any questions.
Can I Track My Fort Worth Personal Injury Settlement Check?
The easiest way to track your settlement check is to stay in touch with your lawyer. They can give you a better idea of where your case is in the process. If the insurer mails the check, you should be able to track it with the information the insurance company provides to your lawyer.
If you have any questions about the settlement process, contact an experienced Fort Worth personal injury attorney.
Contact the Personal Injury Law Firm of Parker Law Firm Injury Lawyers in Fort Worth for Help Today
For more information, please contact an experienced personal injury lawyer at Parker Law Firm Injury Lawyers to schedule a free initial consultation today. We have convenient locations in Bedford and Fort Worth, Texas.